Health care is in my blood. My father was an orthopedic surgeon, which means I spent a lot of time in a physical therapy clinic growing up. Later, as a high school soccer player, I developed terrible knee pain in my junior year, and had surgery on both knees that forced me to stop playing for the rest of high school. After working with a physical therapist, I was able to return to soccer in college, and today I still play in a recreational league. Skilled physical therapy made it possible for me to return to something I loved, and get a lifetime of enjoyment out of it.
I have always loved to play. I swam competitively for more than 25 years, I’ve competed in triathlons, I snowboard with my family, and now I’m enjoying CrossFit and recovery through yoga. I’ve had my share of injuries big and small throughout my lifetime—injury is a common byproduct of being active and adventurous—and I’m grateful at those times for my background in recovery and therapy. Like many of my patients today, I was frustrated and impatient with the process of physical therapy, but I knew that taking an active role in the healing process and working hard to reach my rehab goals was the key to getting back to playing and enjoying life.
Spending time on both sides of the physical therapy process has given me a unique understanding of the physical and psychological roadblocks that can sometimes arise post-injury, and the tools and techniques to overcome them. I want to share those with my clients. and to help them learn that with skilled physical therapy, they can be stronger today than yesterday.
- Masters in physical therapy, Samuel Merritt College, Feb 1997
- More than 2,000 hours of continuing education through the Redwood City Australian-Matlin Manual course
- 10 years of service at the San Francisco Spine Center and Saint Francis Memorial Hospital Center for Sports Medicine.
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy, Temple University, 2010
- Mulligan Practitioner certification, 2010
- Board Certification, Specialty in Orthopedic Physical Therapy, 2011
- Certification in Functional Medicine, Kalish Institute
- Certification in Transformational Nutrition Coaching
- Licensed soccer coach, active in Reno youth soccer since 2007.
- CrossFit Level 1 Trainer